February 5, 2021
Sasfin Wealth – Nick’s Global Newsletter – Feb 2021
Global equity markets ended the first month of 2021 in negative territory following a volatile period of trading activity. The MSCI All Country World Index, a broad measure of global equity markets, ended the month down 0.5% as news surrounding the state of the pandemic, the rate at which vaccines are being deployed, and the quantum of fiscal stimulus packages continue to drive the trajectory of markets. Adding to the volatility of markets has been the ever-increasing impact of retail investors on the market as they band together to challenge the Wall Street elite.
- ASML Holding, an essential supplier of equipment to computer chip makers, posted better-than-expected sales for the fourth quarter of 2020.
- Jack Ma is back. The Chinese billionaire’s re-emergence in a video after a three-month absence reassured investors concerned over his fate and prompted a rally in the shares of Alibaba.
- LVMH’s biggest brands, Louis Vuitton and Dior, finished off last year strongly, delivering double-digit sales growth.
- Microsoft reported better-than-expected quarterly results. The company showed strength across the board, getting a boost in particular from the accelerating adoption of cloud computing.
- Netflix reported fourth quarter earnings that beat analyst expectations on revenue and net subscriber additions.
- Philips said it expects a good start to 2021 as demand for the hospital equipment needed to treat COVID-19 patients remained strong.
- Samsung Electronics reported a 26% boost in its fourth-quarter net profit, as the world’s largest maker of smartphones and memory chips continues to ride sustained demand for its products amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Siemens released preliminary results for the first quarter of its fiscal 2021, which were ahead of market expectations driven by the digital-industries business.
- Visa experienced strong debit-card and e-commerce trends in its first quarter, resulting in better-than-expected earnings and revenue.
Global Portfolio Manager (Cape Town)
Reproduced with permission from Sasfin Wealth
Sasfin Securities (Pty) Ltd, a member of the JSE Ltd
29 Scott Street, Waverley, 2090 | PO Box 95104, Grant Park, 2051
The information contained in this communication is for information purposes only and does not constitute advice in any form, including but not limited to investment, accounting, tax, legal or regulatory advice. Terms, conditions and values contained herein are indicative only and subject to negotiation and change. This material does not constitute an offer, advertisement or solicitation for investment, financial or banking services. The material has no regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific person. The material is based upon information considered reliable, but the parties do not represent that it is accurate or complete or that it can be relied upon as such. All illustrations, forecasts or hypothetical data are for illustrative purposes only and are not guaranteed. The parties accept no liability whatsoever, whether direct, indirect or consequential for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of the use of all or any part of this material and any reader or prospective investor is urged to be aware of all the risks involved in dealing with any financial product and the need to specifically consult with a professional adviser before making any decision or taking any action.